Hashtags are a powerful tool in your marketing toolbox, but only if you use them strategically. While most people squeeze them anywhere in their posts, others play wise and track them.
Next obvious question that might bug you is how to measure hashtag performance.
Luckily, there are several hashtag analytics tools that can take the load off your shoulder.
Using a hashtag tool, you’ll be able to track how your campaign performed, but also uncover key findings about your audience and your competitors.
Table of Contents
- Why Should I Measure Hashtag Performance?
- Which Hashtag Metrics Should I Track?
- How to Measure Hashtag Performance
- Which is the best hashtag monitoring tool?
- Start Tracking Your Hashtags Now
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should I Measure Hashtag Performance?
You should always aim to prove the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns. Here are a few great reasons to measure hashtag performance:
- Measure Reach & Engagement: Learn how many people saw your hashtag
- Identify Your Audience: Track the demographics of the people who use your hashtag
- Segment Your Audience: A/B test your hashtags to find your desired audience
- Identify Influencers: Find influencers that give you the best marketing ROI
- Competitor Research: Benchmark yourself against competitors
- Sentiment Analysis: Track how people feel about your brand
Which Hashtag Metrics Should I Track?
What success looks like to your brand will depend on your business and social goals and the metrics you used to track those goals.
Here are some hashtag metrics you can track:
- Posts: How many people posted with your hashtag?
- Users: How many unique users posted using your hashtag?
- Engagement: How many likes, shares, and clicks did your hashtag receive?
- Reach: How people’s feeds did your hashtag show up on?
- Impressions: How many times did your hashtag get viewed (including repeat users)?
Please note, reach and impressions are different. Know how impressions are calculated from here.
Keyhole is a real-time conversation tracker that provides keyword + hashtag analytics and social media analytics across platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Get started for free here.
How to Measure Hashtag Performance
Tracking your hashtag’s performance is easier than you may think. Here are 8 easy steps:
1. Get a Hashtag Tracking Tool: Start off by getting yourself a hashtag analytics tool like Keyhole
2. Input Your Hashtag: This can be your hashtag or a competitor’s hashtag
3. Select Your Platforms: You can measure your hashtag across any popular social platform
4. Wait: Give your hashtag some time so you don’t make conclusions on a small time sample
5. Analyze Key Metrics: Using the metrics above, analyze your hashtag’s performance
6. Gain Insights: The tool will show you your hashtag’s top posts, related topics, top influencers, websites, and audience demographics
7. Create Reports: Generate and share social media report to your key stakeholders
8. Repeat: Use what you’ve learned to launch your next hashtag campaign
Which is the best hashtag monitoring tool?
Now that you know how to track hashtag performance, the next thing to worry about is if your chosen tool supports the platforms you use. Though hashtag is a predominant part of Instagram and Twitter, several hashtag analytics tools focus on just one platform. Here’s a list for quick reference.
How to check hashtag performance on Instagram?
Some of the popular hashtag monitoring tools for Instagram are:
How to check hashtag performance on Twitter?
Some of the popular hashtag monitoring tools for Twitter are:
Did you notice how Keyhole was the common name in both? Keyhole is one of the best hashtag analytics tools that support Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok — all under one platform!
Amazing, isn’t it?
To track your hashtag analytics, start a free trial of Keyhole now. Prove your social media ROI with Keyhole’s extensive analytics. Know the optimal frequency and the hashtags that have amassed engagement to your posts. Knowing how to measure hashtag performance isn’t enough; fine-tuning the process will. And Keyhole help you that precisely!
So go ahead and explore the tool for free!
Keyhole is a real-time conversation tracker that provides keyword + hashtag analytics and social media analytics across platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Get started for free here.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you monitor hashtag performance?
Hashtags are a powerful tool in your marketing toolbox, but only if you use them strategically. To measure hashtag performance, you'll need a hashtag analytics tool. Using a hashtag tool, you'll be able to track how your campaign performed but also uncover key findings about your audience and your competitors.
How do you check hashtag stats?
It depends on what hashtag you want to track. If it's a branded hashtag, it's better to use a hashtag analytics tool to get detailed stats. However, if the hashtag is generic and you want to know if it's popular, search for them natively on a social media platform and find the number of times that particular hashtag has been used.
What is the best hashtag tracker?
Keyhole is one of the widely used hashtag trackers. It is trusted by global agencies and brands like Google, Amazon, Spotify, etc., for monitoring marketing campaigns and relevant metrics. Try out its trial and track for free.